Our lifeguard certification is a three-day course (or two days for the Blending Learning program). Classes start at 8AM on Tuesday. Students will receive an email 3-5 days before the start of the course with the full schedule of start times and locations for each day of training. The course may start at our corporate office in Arlington VA or at a nearby pool. For more details or if you need to pay by check or payroll deduction please call 703-920-1750 Ext. 129 or email [email protected]
Summer Training Schedule:
Tuesday – Meet at Parkfairfax Pool A at 8AM, then continue class at the office in the afternoon.
Wednesday – Class at the office beginning at 9AM and continuing the rest of the day.
Thursday – Meet at Parkfairfax Pool A at 8:30AM, then continue class at the office in the afternoon.
Prerequisites for Shallow Water Lifeguarding Course:
- Swim a 100-yard continuous swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. Swimming on the back or side is not permitted. Swim goggles are allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits. (in shallow water)
- Complete a timed event within 50 seconds. (Goggles are not allowed for this event.):
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using the front crawl or breaststroke or a combination of both. The face may be in or out of the water.
- Submerge to a depth of 4 to 5 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and walk or swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object at the surface of the water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Prerequisites for Lifeguarding Course:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
2. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
3. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
• Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of thewater. Note: Swim goggles are not allowed.
• Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
• Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates may NOT swim the distance under water.
• Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
Requirements for successful completion of the Lifeguarding course:
1. Attend and participate in all class sessions.
2. Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
3. Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
4. Correctly answer at least 80 percent of the questions in each of the two sections of the final written exam.
American Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual. We recommend studying the following pages before your training:
142-147; 150-155; 160-163; 169-172; 181-188; Chapters 9, 10, 11. For complete Lifeguarding Manual Click Here